[Gloucs] X over SSH

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Oct 27 11:36:51 BST 2004

Hi Paul!  On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Paul Cooke wrote:

> now if only I can get the IT dept at work to let me install cygwin and a
> ms-windows based X-server...

How are you getting on with this project?

(a) cygwin comes with an XFree86 X-server.  It also comes with many
window managers, including a window manager that uses the native
Microsoft Windows window management, that was hacked directly into the
XFree86 source code.  There is no need to get Hummingbird eXceed,
unless you want it for specific features.

(b) don't forget that you only need to install the X server on your
ssh client PC / terminal (probably your Linux PC).  You only need the X
libraries on the ssh server.

> and then I've just got the problemette of
> punching a tunnel through both firewalls...

Pick a port - and get it opened for incoming TCP connections from your
remote IP address.

David Corking
(West Wiltshire resident, de-lurking)