[Gloucs] Next meeting

Mick Brooks michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 13:54:17 BST 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 09:11:41AM +0100, Guy Edwards02 wrote:
> At this point I'd like to push Mick Brooks onto stage
> and whisper loudly "tell them about the next meeting"
> As someone else is organising the next one (I thought)

*cough* - Ahem, erm, thanks Guy :-)

Yes, I've been thinking about arranging a meeting or two, so that Guy
can have a rest, and come back all refreshed.

Unfortunately, the speaker we've invited isn't able to make it until
sometime in November, so I think we might have to do something
before then for the next meeting. Any volunteers to speak?

I did get a little way with a venue though: Quedgeley Village Hall will
take us, and have a room that will apparently easily accommodate the 20
or so of us that made up our best(?) attendance (I'm going to see it
tomorrow night).

As far as I can see, we have the following to consider:

Pros
----
* Easy to get to (by car at least), being very close to Junction 12 of the
  M5.
* Disabled access isn't a problem.
* They'll have us(!), and we could have a regular monthly (or bi-monthly if
  we want to move around) meeting on either Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.

Cons
----
* No refreshments onsite (but within walking range of a number of pubs
  for when the speaker finishes).
* We'd have to find our own projector - didn't someone have one they
  could bring, back in the Cross Keys days?
* They charge £5 an hour, but with 30mins either side of our slot for
  free.
* I know we have a few members who cycle to meets, is this too difficult
  to get to? Does anybody get/want to get to meetings on public
  transport? I shall try and find out about buses.

I seem to be losing this argument with myself, but I'm sure lots of you
have things to add to these lists, so please speak up. Should I look for
something else? Suggestions?

If we do decide to try it out for a month, then we have the fun of
deciding a date...

Finally, would people be interested in seeing a video of Eric Raymond
talking about Open Source software? I saw him give this Keynote lecture:

http://www.accu.org/conference/events_2004_04_14.html#1

and will be able to get the film from it at a later date. I'm not sure I
agreed with everything he had to say, but he was an entertaining
speaker. We could try showing it at a meeting (or two if it's too long
and people need to get to the bar). Any takers?

TIA for input,

--
Mick Brooks
michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk