[Gloucs] Next meeting

Mick Brooks michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 22:33:01 BST 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 08:02:14PM +0100, Paul Broadhead wrote:
> Mick Brooks <michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, the speaker we've invited isn't able to make it until
> > sometime in November, so I think we might have to do something
> > before then for the next meeting. Any volunteers to speak?
>
> Invited speaker? That sounds exciting.  Have I missed who that is?

Well, I think it'll be exciting. You may have missed it, as we've been
plotting on IRC, but Oliver Gorwits from Oxford Uni will (eventually) be
coming to talk about and demonstrate User Mode Linux.

> > I did get a little way with a venue though: Quedgeley Village Hall
> > will take us, and have a room that will apparently easily accommodate
> > the 20 or so of us that made up our best(?) attendance (I'm going to
> > see it tomorrow night).
>
> Sounds a good suggestion.

Well, I've been to see QVH tonight, and think it might not be the best
place. The room's certainly big enough, and easy to get to, but
projecting stuff onto pink walls might not be too easy on the eyes, and
when I checked about wheelchair access with the caretaker, he suggested
it'd be fine; if we brought a ramp (not what I was told on the phone). I
think we need to find somewhere else...

> If I make it to a meeting, I'll be driving
> from north of Cheltenham so could giving others roughly on the way a
> lift would be possible if that helps.

That's handy to know.

> Blast, I missed the accu conference this year (OK I was annoyed that
> they had such heavy sponsorship from microsoft) and I am contemplating
> letting my accu member ship lapse.

I'm happy enough to eat MS's sandwiches. :-)

Why let the membership lapse? I think I get plenty of value from the
magazines alone, though I do pay student rates.

> I didn't even notice he was speaking!  I'd be interesting in seeing
> the talk.  I think he's quite a good chap, I'm still reading his "The
> Art of Unix Programming" which I've found very interesting.

Great. That's one vote in the yes column.

He was entertaining, and talked a lot of sense, but didn't know his
audience. His talk would work perfectly in a room full of converts, but
I think he needed to try something else at ACCU.

--
Mick Brooks
michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk