[Gloucs] Next meeting

Ian Cunningham case_uk at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 22:59:31 BST 2004

Mick Brooks wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 08:02:14PM +0100, Paul Broadhead wrote:
>

>>Mick Brooks <michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>Unfortunately, the speaker we've invited isn't able to make it until
>>>sometime in November, so I think we might have to do something
>>>before then for the next meeting. Any volunteers to speak?
>>>

>>Invited speaker? That sounds exciting.  Have I missed who that is?
>>

>Well, I think it'll be exciting. You may have missed it, as we've been
>plotting on IRC, but Oliver Gorwits from Oxford Uni will (eventually) be
>coming to talk about and demonstrate User Mode Linux.
>

>>>I did get a little way with a venue though: Quedgeley Village Hall
>>>will take us, and have a room that will apparently easily accommodate
>>>the 20 or so of us that made up our best(?) attendance (I'm going to
>>>see it tomorrow night).
>>>

>>Sounds a good suggestion.
>>

>Well, I've been to see QVH tonight, and think it might not be the best
>place. The room's certainly big enough, and easy to get to, but
>projecting stuff onto pink walls might not be too easy on the eyes, and
>when I checked about wheelchair access with the caretaker, he suggested
>it'd be fine; if we brought a ramp (not what I was told on the phone). I
>think we need to find somewhere else...
>

>>If I make it to a meeting, I'll be driving
>>from north of Cheltenham so could giving others roughly on the way a
>>lift would be possible if that helps.
>>

>That's handy to know.
>

>>Blast, I missed the accu conference this year (OK I was annoyed that
>>they had such heavy sponsorship from microsoft) and I am contemplating
>>letting my accu member ship lapse.
>>

>I'm happy enough to eat MS's sandwiches. :-)
>
>Why let the membership lapse? I think I get plenty of value from the
>magazines alone, though I do pay student rates.
>

>>I didn't even notice he was speaking!  I'd be interesting in seeing
>>the talk.  I think he's quite a good chap, I'm still reading his "The
>>Art of Unix Programming" which I've found very interesting.
>>

>Great. That's one vote in the yes column.
>
>He was entertaining, and talked a lot of sense, but didn't know his
>audience. His talk would work perfectly in a room full of converts, but
>I think he needed to try something else at ACCU.

I know i'm a "newbie" here, but i think i may have a suggestion, i live
in shurdington and we have a pretty good village hall (at least it looks
good from the outside) and it's only 5 minutes from cheltenham and 5
minutes from juntion 11a of the M5 so getting there is really easy.  It
also has ample parking & could hold alot more them 20 people.