[Gloucs] Administration of home computer

Steve Greig steve at stevespages.org.uk
Fri Apr 29 21:19:37 BST 2005

Hi all, I am getting into Linux very much as a home user. My dad's windows
computer finally died and about 2 months ago I (with some help partly from
you) set him up with a new computer running Fedora. Generally it is going
really well and he likes it which is great. However, he does occasionally
run into problems which I try and sort out when I get over to where he
lives. My question is: would it be possible, indeed sensible, to somehow
link his computer with my (or someone else's) computer using broad band
connections so I would be able to remotely log into his computer either as
root or as a user and then actually see what is going on on his computer and
carry out jobs (for example running the up2date routine which I have not
taught him yet as he has enough on his plate learning how to use email,
browser and word processing already)?

I hope the answer is yes because it would seem such a practical way to
maintain a computer in someone's house without having to wait until you have
time to get round there.

Best wishes from Steve