[Gloucs] Administration of home computer

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Fri Apr 29 21:56:08 BST 2005

Around 08:29pm on Friday, April 29, 2005 (UK time), Steve Greig scrawled:

> lives. My question is: would it be possible, indeed sensible, to somehow
> link his computer with my (or someone else's) computer using broad band
> connections so I would be able to remotely log into his computer either as
> root or as a user and then actually see what is going on on his computer

Steve, this is possible, using SSH is the way I do it.  You will need to
know his IP address of his broadband connection, and then just enter

	ssh <his_ip_address>

I use demon as my provider and get have my own static address so it is
always the same one.  Not sure about other ISPs, but you should be able
to find out.

You will also need to make sure the ssh port is open on his
firewall/router, etc.  I actually open a non standard port and port
forward to the correct one, as I found otherwise I got people attempting
to log into my network.

You can even get in from a Windows machine using putty (google for it).

If all this sounds a bit daunting, it isn't that bad.  Google, and ask
specific questions here if you need to.

> and carry out jobs (for example running the up2date routine which I have
> not taught him yet as he has enough on his plate learning how to use email,
> browser and word processing already)?

Using yum you can effectively get up2date run automatically (although
you would need to keep the pc on all the time and connected to the
internet.

Cheers

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 21:46:01  up 50 days, 52 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00