[Gloucs] Administration of home computer

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Fri Apr 29 23:24:02 BST 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:29:07PM +0100, Steve Greig wrote:
> Hi all, I am getting into Linux very much as a home user. My dad's windows

Hello.  Just a quick comment.  What you've done (unintentionally, I
realise) is known as "thead hijacking".  When you send an email to a
mailing list, and it is not as a reply to an existing thread, you *must*
create a new email.  Hitting reply to an email, deleting its contents
and sending it, although might seem innocent enough will actua;lly break
the threading of email clients, usually.

> over to where he lives. My question is: would it be possible, indeed
> sensible, to somehow link his computer with my (or someone else's)
> computer using broad band connections so I would be able to remotely
> log into his computer either as root or as a user and then actually
> see what is going on on his computer and carry out jobs (for example
> running the up2date routine which I have not taught him yet as he
> has enough on his plate learning how to use email, browser and word
> processing already)?

Sure -- you can use ssh for this.  I'd also go as far as using screen(1)
ontop of that which would allow you to use some persistence in your
administrations, presuming your Dad doesn't turn off his PC.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"