[Gloucs] Linux on a forklift

Guy Edwards02 guy.edwards at gloscat.ac.uk
Mon Feb 7 11:57:31 GMT 2005

If anyone's interested:

I've just visited "Asset Management Services" in Leckhampton after a tipoff that they had an unknown IBM server that didn't sell in an auction recently, and I was after RS6000 cables.

Turns out they have a complete AS400, which is no good to me for parts but might interest someone on the list. It appears complete, hidden costs will be you'll need a high amp "commando" style plug socket to power it (cost me about £120 per socket to get an electrician to install here) also most companies remove any hard drives before selling, so you'll probably need a SCSI drive of some sort, or be cunning with a boot disk and network drives.

There's the main AS400 unit which I presume is the "service processor" unit, the part with the main big chunk of cpus and ram, then there's a smaller unit, which on the RS6000 would be the input/output unit (tonnes of network cards etc) _BUT_ I noticed the main unit had network cards in it so I guess the AS must be different (maybe there's a UNIX guru here who might know?).

If you decide to buy:
 contact details are below (no I'm not on commission and I don't work there)
 Do your research: at least find the install/service guide and the operators manual and read them.
 More research: Find some Linux howtos about the AS400
 Plan the install: it's big, American fridge freezer style big
 Plan the pickup: you'll need a transit van or similar and 3 or 4 big persons. They might have a forklift at the warehouse but I didn't ask. It might be anywhere from 125- 250kg, I didn't try and lift it.

Probably of interest for colleges or someone running a meaty database. Give them a ring before turning up.

Thanks
Guy

Contact details:
jamiewhimarsh at asset-man.co.uk