[Gloucs] distro advice

Dave Addison dave at redmoor.org.uk
Thu Feb 10 22:23:44 GMT 2005

Guy Edwards02 wrote:
> [thinks] Maybe it's time to update those glug website 2002 help articles
> with a FAQ or two. Would help reduce my embarrassment too as things have
> changed quite a bit since then.
>
> Anyway... Grab a few on CD and try them out for a day or two each.
> Settle with the one you find works best with your hardware and seems
> easiest to work with.
>
> You might want to steer towards the desktop orientated distributions and
> stay away from the more awkward but configurable ones.
>
> So think more:
>  fedora
>  mandrake
>  suse
>
> And think less:
>  Linux from scratch
>
> Hope it helps
> Guy

I have a personal liking for Suse. I've installed 9.1 and 9.2 and they
both do a pretty good job of getting themselves set up automatically so
you've got something working to start playing with.

Fedora, I last used about two years ago. It was pretty good then.

The main advice I can offer is to make sure you get the latest version
of whatever you try. This includes downloading any updated boot images
for the install disks as they will have the latest bug fixes and
enhancements

Dave