[Gloucs] Re: gloucs Digest, Vol 67, Issue 1 - suse and wireless

Tom Faraday tom at Faraday.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 19:09:51 GMT 2005

Hi,

Thanks for that Guy your right,

Im talking about one Victorian cotswold stone house
which is about 30ft tall, their aren't any stone walls
to go through just thick ceilings and the large height
to deal with (i want to go from top to bottom idealy
but could stick the box on the middle floor (of three))
I have looked into this and  have seen all the popular
offerings from Netgear/3Com/Belkin etc. Currently there
is a product available from an american company,

Westell Versalink 54g which is on
www.broadbandstore.co.uk

Apart from this i know of the new Belkin super long
range set up but that is also super expensive.
Compatibility wise im none the wiser apart from the
fact that on the suse blurb it says something about
improved wireless support.

Maximum budget would be 200ish for a router, 2 PCI/USB
and a PCMICA for the laptop.

Im interested to see if anyone has any experience in
this field and can tell me what the best long range,
linux compatible, stable, good quality and valu for
money set up would be?

Ow and after looking around I found this with relation
to the graphics card

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/286990

I attempted to follow the instructions on the suse ftp
link, to compile the new graphics card kernel module
(perhaps a bit ambitious for a 1 day old newbie) and
everything was good until I had to go into init3 and
update sax (point 4 or 5 on the README i think). I then
got and error telling me that the profile file in the
new driver folder was corrupt and their was an error at
line 970 (or some line like that, im at a different pc
now, if it is important ill dig it out of the logs)?

The only thing I missed on the instruction was to
update the kernel source package through the online
update as this was a 70mb file and would take ages over
a 26kbps connection.

Can i just try the whole thing over? As i have already
ran the two rpm's it tells me to download.

If any of you wonderful people can help with any of
these points I will be very grateful.

Thanks,
Tom