[Gloucs] Next Meeting - Problem with Bishops Cleeve library

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 22:42:07 GMT 2005

HI folks,

I finally got round to the library to book our next meeting; it is
provisionally booked but there is a problem.

The agreement requires the hirer (i.e. yours truly as we are not an
official club) to agree to various conditions, amongst other stuff; "That
every care shall be taken to avoid any damage to the structure,
furniture and fittings and decoration of the premises." - fair enough.
But then goes on to say; "Any such damage to made good at my expense.".

It turns out that although the county council has its own insurance,
this does not cover people hiring the premises.  The lady at the library
said that others (like people who teach classes) have their own
insurance cover.

Now while I know nothing would be damaged deliberately (hey we could
actually improve their computer systems!), accidents do happen and I
don't fancy any of us being liable for "making good" the place if it
burns down during our meeting.

So, as I see it we have two alternatives.  1) Abandon the idea of using
the library and look elsewhere.  2) Look into getting some form of
insurance for our meetings.  I've had a brief look at the later option
but have nothing to suggest yet, I'll pursue this further. However, I
was hoping someone might know more about this particular aspect.

So what do you all think?

Regards,
Paul