[Gloucs] ADSL Modem

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 21:11:06 BST 2005

Christian.Trapp at gmx.net wrote:

> I decided to take a broadband connection UK-Online. What I need are
> informations about
> 1. a Linux compatible ADSL Modem. Has anybody experiences with a
> special one and where I can buy it?
> 2. Is it a problem with USB? I run Suse 8.1 and USB is sometimes a
> problem (root rights etc.)
> 3. As I run a small network, my ethernet card is already occupied.
> There should be no problem to install a second for the ADSL modem when
> I can't  use the USB?
>
> Lot's of questions but I never tried ADSL before so thank you for your
> answers in advance.

Hi Christian,

I don't have an ADSL modem (probably should stop here) as I'm on cable,
but I did help a friend choose and set his up.  He bought a combined
modem, switch, firewall and wifi box.  It had four ethernet ports on the
back which provided a local (wired) network behind the firewall as well
as the wifi.  Any computer on the local network could setup and control
the box via the network (browser based) so his main (controlling)
desktop machine only needed one ethernet card.

He bought a relatively expensive BT Voyager 2000 box but other, cheaper
boxes should have similar functionality.

Hope that helps,
Paul