[Gloucs] ADSL Modem

John Kilgour wj.kilgour at btopenworld.com
Wed Jun 15 23:01:25 BST 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 17:23, Christian.Trapp at gmx.net wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I decided to take a broadband connection UK-Online. What I need are
> informations about
> 1. a Linux compatible ADSL Modem. Has anybody experiences with a
> special one and where I can buy it?
> 2. Is it a problem with USB? I run Suse 8.1 and USB is sometimes a
> problem (root rights etc.)
> 3. As I run a small network, my ethernet card is already occupied.
> There should be no problem to install a second for the ADSL modem when
> I can't  use the USB?
>
> Lot's of questions but I never tried ADSL before so thank you for your
> answers in advance.
>
> Christian
>
> - --
I used SuSE 9.0 when I set up broadband last Autumn. I got a Belkin ADSL modem
- router which has 4 ethernet ports and an 802.11g wireless network. This
works fine. My and my wife's machine use the ethernet cables and children
when they come with laptops use the 802.11g. For security the wireless
network is shut down unless the laptops are here. [A son detected an
unencripted wireless network in range! Maybe I should just have used this for
free!]. In the spring I upgraded to SuSE 9.2 [magazine cover disk] and had no
problems at all.
I would recommend the stand alone modem/router + ethernet network since it
does not require the USB machine to be always on when internet connection is
required.
When we use the wireless network it IS encripted.

John Kilgour