[Gloucs] Am I alone in finding this extract extremely funny?

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 02:09:46 BST 2005

>From Odd Comments and Strange Doings in Unix, Dennis M. Ritchie
<http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/odd.html>.  Just don't ask how I
arrived at this URL...

A hardware story

Back around 1970-71, Unix on the PDP-11/20 ran on hardware that not only
did not support virtual memory, but didn't support any kind of hardware
memory mapping or protection, for example against writing over the
kernel. This was a pain, because we were using the machine for multiple
users. When anyone was working on a program, it was considered a
courtesy to yell "A.OUT?" before trying it, to warn others to save
whatever they were editing.

Fun times indeed.
Paul

P.S. Appologies to any non-programmmers out there.