[Gloucs] Getting rid of Windoze

E case_uk at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 23:05:23 GMT 2005

I have been showing a friend the Ubantu Live installation of Linux and
to say he was impressed would be an understatement, however he asked the
usual questions which i'm unable to answer so i thought i'd email you
guys and hopefully get rid on another microsoft dependant.

the questions mainly relate to software (as expected) and are :

The easiest one was browsers & email as i've already got him using
firebird & thunderbird under windows.

I use Office (word, excell, publisher) what can replace these ?

I use dreamweaver for webdesign ?

I use Adobe Photoshop & Macromedia Fireworks anything similar ?

I use 3 programs in windows to convert & encode my own dvd's ? is there
anything available todo the same ?

Will Linux play all the differant media formats (Quicktime, Realtime,
WMA, WMV, ASF, DivX, Xvid) ?

What software will burn CD/DVD's ?

Is it all "user-friendly" ie. no command line stuff ?

How do i install upgrades to firefox/thunderbird for example ?

Is there any accounting software available that will do online banking ?

What about a good FTP client / Firewall / Antivirus / Instant Messaging ?

I'm sure the will think of others, there's also the question of which
Distro to use, I was going to suggest Mandrake or SUSE as i've used them
in the past.

I look forward to hearing you reply's and hopefully getting my friend to
ditch his linux.