[Gloucs] Getting rid of Windoze

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Thu Mar 3 23:38:40 GMT 2005

Around 05:05am on Friday, March 04, 2005 (UK time), E scrawled:

> I use Office (word, excell, publisher) what can replace these ?

OpenOffice is a very direct replacement for these.  Similar in use, and
they can read and even create Word and Excel documents.

> What software will burn CD/DVD's ?

k3b is brilliant for this.

> Is it all "user-friendly" ie. no command line stuff ?

While you could no doubt start a holy war by claiming no command line =
user friendly, what do you mean?  Do you mean are the apps I have
mentioned command line (they're not), or do you mean is GNU/Linux not
command line?  You don't need to use the command line to run GNU/Linux
as a user, but it is available if you want it - or need it in an
emergency.

> How do i install upgrades to firefox/thunderbird for example ?

Don't know much about Ubantu but if it supports yum that is what I use
to keep things up to date.

> What about a good FTP client / Firewall / Antivirus / Instant Messaging ?

gFTP / probably built in / clamd or f-prot / gaim

> I'm sure the will think of others, there's also the question of which
> Distro to use, I was going to suggest Mandrake or SUSE as i've used them
> in the past.

I use Fedora Core, but many people find Mandrake and SUSE good distros.

Cheers

Steve

--

(o<     www.stevesearle.com