[Gloucs] Getting rid of Windoze

paul cooke paul.cooke100 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 21:28:12 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 17:31, Rob Shields wrote:
> From: Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards at hotpop.com>
> Date:  Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:06:43 +0000
>
> Hi
>
> I've been lurking here for some time - so "Hi" to everyone here.  Just a
couple of thoughts on this thread:
> >Dia is Visio on a budget. Fireworks is different, I've not used it so
> >I'm not going to try and compare it to something.
> >
> >From what I remember, fireworks has bitmap and vector graphics editing
> > capabilities in a form not dissimilar to Photoshop, as well as being able
> > to generate wads of HTML and javascript for things like DHTML menus,
> > slices and image maps. It integrates somewhat with Dreamweaver and Flash,
> > and I'm fairly certain there's nothing else quite like it.
>
> Just a thought about Photoshop, would it not be possible to run it under
> WINE?

all versions of photoshop except CS run with Wine... you have Disney and two
other animation studios who wish to remain anonymous to thank for this as
they paid for programmers to work on Wine to sort out any incompatibilities.
Disney use Photoshop a lot, but have migrated their art departments to Linux
and wanted to carry on using Photoshop.

<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1210083,00.asp>

|Rather than wait, Disney, along with two other motion picture animation
|studios (which declined to be named for this article), decided to jointly
|fund the development of a Windows-to-Linux porting solution. The idea:
|develop technology using the Wine emulator to run Adobe Photoshop on Linux.
[snip]
|The project has paid off tremendously for Disney this year alone. Development
|of the porting solution, including site licenses, cost Disney less than
|$15,000. Had he opted to run Photoshop on Windows machines, it would have
|cost upward of $50,000 just in annual licensing fees, said Brooks. He
|estimates support would have been an additional $40,000 a year.

<http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=graphics>

Frank's Corner has details of how to get lots of packages running using just
ordinary Wine without having to use Cedega or Codeweavers Crossover.

There are many more programs that work fine with Wine and require no coddling
at all.

Hope this helps :)