[Gloucs] Getting rid of Windoze

Steve Greig steve at stevespages.org.uk
Sat Mar 5 13:27:00 GMT 2005

Hi, as another relative newcomer to Linux and this email list I have found
the recent correspondence on applications very useful: thanks. I was also
very interested in the story about Disney. Could you answer the following:
When Disney and the two other companies developed the software to enable
Adobe photoshop to be run on Linux OS why did they then make the software
available free of charge to everybody instead of just keeping it for
themselves. Is this to do with GNU General Public License? Does it require
that if you modify or extend something covered by such a license for your
own use you are required to make the software you have created available to
everybody or are Disney et al just making this available to us voluntarily?
Would be very interested to know what you think.
Best wishes from Steve