[Gloucs] Getting rid of Windoze

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Sat Mar 5 13:40:38 GMT 2005

Around 01:26pm on Saturday, March 05, 2005 (UK time), Steve Greig scrawled:

> themselves. Is this to do with GNU General Public License? Does it require
> that if you modify or extend something covered by such a license for your
> own use you are required to make the software you have created available to
> everybody or are Disney et al just making this available to us voluntarily?

Yes it is the GPL.  Essentially it says that you can do what you like
with the software, sell it, give it away, change it, but if you
distribute it (or any changed version) you must distribute it with this
licence and with the source code (so that people can make further
changes).

So I can download SuSE, sell it to you, you can give it to 10,000
people, one of them can make loads of changes to it, sell it to someone
else, who can then give it away to someone who can change it more.

No wonder Bill Gates hates it.

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 13:35:00  up 1 day, 17:18,  4 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.55, 0.53