[Gloucs] Dual booting a Linux box

rob at cmsnet.org.uk rob at cmsnet.org.uk
Tue Mar 22 21:53:51 GMT 2005

Hi

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I have a box running Linux
and I want to dual boot it with Windows XP. The partitions are set up as:

       Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem
/boot  1          0.031     36.914  primary   ext2
/swap  2         36.914    531.562  primary   linux-swap
/      3        531.562  57231.562  primary   ext3

I would like a ~4gb partition for windows, and a large data partition that both
OSes can use, say FAT32.

I was thinking I could use parted to resize the ext3 partition, then move them
all forward by 4gb, creating a new 4gb partition at the start for windows, and
a new shared data partion at the end. I could then install windows, then use dd
to get the first 512 bytes of the current boot partition and use the XP boot
loader to boot that.

Are there any problems with that in principle?

Rob