[Gloucs] Dual booting a Linux box

rob at cmsnet.org.uk rob at cmsnet.org.uk
Wed Mar 23 11:00:06 GMT 2005

Quoting Thomas Adam <thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org>:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:01:46PM +0000, John Kilgour wrote:
> > do. My understanding is that Linux has to be installed AFTER Windows
> > XP. I suggest that you do as you intend after backing up your /home
>
> No, not in the slightest.  If you do it the otherway around, all that'll
> happen is that you'll need to boot off a rescue CD and reinstate the
> bootloader (GRUB, LILO, whatever it might be).

Great - I should be able to boot off my Gentoo liveCD to fix Grub after I have
installed Windows. I found
a handy guide which covers my situation nicely and I shall probably follow in
part (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Windows_after_Gentoo). The guide
says I can install windows on a partition after my Linux partitions, which
makes things easier.

> (top-posting, grrr).
>
> > On Monday 21 March 2005 11:05, rob at cmsnet.org.uk wrote:
> > > I was thinking I could use parted to resize the ext3 partition, then
> > > move them all forward by 4gb, creating a new 4gb partition at the
> > > start for windows, and a new shared data partion at the end. I could
> > > then install windows, then use dd to get the first 512 bytes of the
> > > current boot partition and use the XP boot loader to boot that.
> > >
> > > Are there any problems with that in principle?
>
> Sounds fine to me.

Fantastic, thanks.

> -- Thomas Adam

Rob Shields