[Gloucs] Dual booting a Linux box

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Tue Mar 22 22:09:03 GMT 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:01:46PM +0000, John Kilgour wrote:
> do. My understanding is that Linux has to be installed AFTER Windows
> XP. I suggest that you do as you intend after backing up your /home

No, not in the slightest.  If you do it the otherway around, all that'll
happen is that you'll need to boot off a rescue CD and reinstate the
bootloader (GRUB, LILO, whatever it might be).

(top-posting, grrr).

> On Monday 21 March 2005 11:05, rob at cmsnet.org.uk wrote:
> > I was thinking I could use parted to resize the ext3 partition, then
> > move them all forward by 4gb, creating a new 4gb partition at the
> > start for windows, and a new shared data partion at the end. I could
> > then install windows, then use dd to get the first 512 bytes of the
> > current boot partition and use the XP boot loader to boot that.
> >
> > Are there any problems with that in principle?

Sounds fine to me.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"