[Gloucs] Dell laptops / Linux query

Mark R. Trotman mark at armscroft.com
Sat Mar 26 12:32:16 GMT 2005

Christian.Trapp at gmx.net wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Just buy the new magazine LINUX Format April 2005 DVD-Version. There
> are two Live-Distributions (MEPIS + ATmission) of Linux on it. One you
> can start directly from the DVD, the other is an ISO-Image on it and
> has to be burned on a CD. A Live-Distribution boots a Linux on the
> Laptop/Desktop Computer you prefer without installing itself on the
> computer and without making any changes to the OS installed on this
> computer. Once you have bootet the Linux from this CD, you can try
> out, wheather all your needed things are supported from the computers
> hardware. This is very helpfull to check a computer in a store easily.
> If you are near Cheltenham, I can burn the MEPIS Distri (what I would
> recommend for you) on a CD and you can get it from me. If you have any
> questions or need further help, just let me know.

Christian,

Thanks for the reply. Just a few points though, I won't be using Mepis
but FC3 (which is my distro of choice) and Dell machines are not
available in computer stores :( I am currently browsing
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html so I'm hoping to find some
useful information there. Many thanks once again.

Best regards

--

Mark