[Gloucs] Dell laptops / Linux query

Alan Carter a.carter at lineone.net
Sat Mar 26 22:31:19 GMT 2005

I would not buy a dell laptop as there recent build quality is not very
good. I had a i8200 Dell laptop and was very happy with it until it was
stolen!. I also have a Dell work laptop which I brought on the basis that my
previous home laptop was good but this one feels a lot more flimsy and the
mouse keys no longer function (switches worn out) and the whole laptop looks
like it is just about to fall a part. It is only just over a year old.
I have purchased a IBM Thinkpad to replace the stolen laptop, the build
quality is very high, customer support is also good. It has also been a lot
easier to setup with Linux than the Dell laptops (not that they have been
difficult).
We have a couple of Toshiba laptops at work as well and they seem to be
holding up well (about 2 years old)

Alan