[Gloucs] Where has everyon gone?

Steve Greig steve at stevespages.org.uk
Sun Oct 30 00:33:43 BST 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 13:02 +0100, Paul Broadhead wrote:
> Hi folks, it's awfully quiet around here at the moment.  Could this be conclusive evidence that Linux is ready for used by our grand parents? - no one has any problems to solve any more!  Personally, I've been too busy with other stuff to do much fiddling with computers - if I don't mess too much with them, they just work.  I am however, seriously considering switching my main desktop machine from Debian (mainly testing) to Ubuntu 5.10.  It already duel boots!  My laptop is very happy running Ubuntu and my son's machine (newly restored after a disk crash) likes it too.  It's Debian but much easier to run near the cutting edge with good security support too.  Come on flame me now.  What is everyone else up to then?
>
> Regards,
> Paul

> Virtual IRC meets every Sunday 8-10pm in #glug on irc.slashnet.org

Just to add my experience as a relative newcomer to Linux. I have tried
Fedora and Ubuntu (live and proper install). For some reason I just
couldn't get going with Ubuntu. I have found Fedora hard work but things
are looking good now as I have moved a couple of thousand emails from
outlook express onto evolution and also got gftp working so now I don't
really need XP anymore although not sure if I have got scanning going
properly yet and also I can ssh some computers but not others (probably
because I don't really understand the networking) despite some useful
advice from you guys earlier in the year.

I do feel that Linux is very easy to use once things are installed but
actually installing them is more difficult than with XP. I am definitely
going to stick with it and might go back to Ubuntu in the future. I hope
Linux can appeal to home users who are not computer experts but think
that they would definitely need someone to help them set it up for them
and look after it for them. My father (not a computer expert by any
means) is enjoying it very much (also Fedora).

Best wishes from Steve