[Gloucs] Meetings and organisation - volunteers needed

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Wed Apr 12 23:03:20 BST 2006

Apologies for coming exceedingly late to this thread.

Francis Barton wrote:

>Dear friends in the LUG
>
>Well after quite a few years of varying degrees of involvement in the
>Gloucestershire LUG, I have got to the point where I cannot pretend I have
>any interest in continuing my involvement.
>
>I haven't made a meeting in over a year, and have blatantly failed to take
>any steps towards arranging one or getting others organised to meet. Sorry
>about this - I kept thinking that keeping the LUG active would be one of
>those things I would get around to pursuing, but I can see that isn't
>going to happen, particularly as I am going to become a father in 6 weeks'
>time.

Congratulations.

>I take the general quietness of the list here as a good sign that many
>people are finding support through their distro websites and forums, or
>that Linux installs are now becoming so user-friendly that problems rarely
>occur. This is a great thing!

I think the language I use to descibe my attempts to get my wireless
card working on the laptop casuing them to be filtered out :)

>Loads of people are joining the group all the time, and I think there is a
>huge amount of talent and raw material for a dynamic and influential local
>LUG, if there was better communication and co-ordination.
>
>So I am proposing to step down from the list moderator role (spam filter
>cleaner!) and I would like to ask for some people to step forward to take
>on semi-formal roles as meeting/talk organisers, list admin/moderators,
>publicity/event organisers etc. Also the IRC channel has been dead for a
>while - anyone want to take on the job of drumming up interest and keeping
>that going?

Well, like Paul I'm happy to help where I can (although I'm not a
natural organiser).

>Those of you who are vigorous and full of enthusiaism for Linux, please
>step up! If you would like to take the opportunity to shape the future of
>the LUG then this is your chance. It's _so_ not a situation where things
>are set in stone and newcomers are not able to come through and make their
>mark on the organisation.
>
>Please post your replies to this thread with your suggestions for ways
>forward and your offers to volunteer to co-ordinate certain things or take
>on the roles I have suggested (or other tasks you have thought of).
>
>When the group has agreed suitable people to be responsible for such
>things, I can pass on to them the passwords for the lug.org.uk website
>(FTP/SSH) and for the mailman list admin page. These can (should!)
>probably be separate people or teams.

Hmmm. Am I right in thinking you are still waiting for the volunteers?

>With many thanks to Paul B, Glyn, Mick, Mark, Gareth, Iain, Steve S, Dave
>Addison, Jinxy and many others who have helped keep things ticking over
>for the last few years.
>
>Francis (not going anywhere quite yet...)

and thank you for everything you have done LUGwise over the years too.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies