[Gloucs] Meetings and organisation - volunteers needed

Francis Barton francis at stroud.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 07:41:31 BST 2006

Glyn Davies wrote:

>> I take the general quietness of the list here as a good sign that many
>> people are finding support through their distro websites and forums, or
>> that Linux installs are now becoming so user-friendly that problems rarely
>> occur. This is a great thing!
>>
> I think the language I use to descibe my attempts to get my wireless
> card working on the laptop casuing them to be filtered out :)

:-)

>> So I am proposing to step down from the list moderator role (spam filter
>> cleaner!) and I would like to ask for some people to step forward to take
>> on semi-formal roles as meeting/talk organisers, list admin/moderators,
>> publicity/event organisers etc. Also the IRC channel has been dead for a
>> while - anyone want to take on the job of drumming up interest and keeping
>> that going?

> Hmmm. Am I right in thinking you are still waiting for the volunteers?

Yes, apart from Paul and yourself. Nothing received off-list. (Please do
keep replies on list so we can all see.)

My feelings at the moment are that, as we are all busy people, folks are
worried about stepping up to organise things because they worry that it
will be a big time-sink and a burden. Alternatively, nobody really
thinks there is much value in the LUG organising events (the UK LUG tour
thread notwithstanding) to complement the mailing list and help to
promote Linux in the county.

Assuming the latter to be false (it may well be true though!), all I
would say to busy people is that it shouldn't be a time-consuming job if
  enough (4-6?) people offer to take on roles and you work in a
co-ordinated way to share work and motivate each other. At the moment,
since there is almost nothing happening, it wouldn't take much to raise
the level of activity by organising /something/, which would be a small
improvement. Sustainability is another issue, of course.

I think it depends on how many members want the LUG to function as an
event or club rather than just a "help" mailing list. I always assumed
it /should/ be the former...? Please step forward soon if you want this
to happen. I'm not going to keep pushing it, I shall just fade away and
cease to worry about what happens, because there's no point if there's
no demand.

Thanks for your emails Glyn.
I'll try to sort out the website with details of the UK LUG event soon.

Francis.