[Gloucs] Meetings and organisation - volunteers needed

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Tue Apr 18 19:05:51 BST 2006

Francis Barton wrote:

>>> cleaner!) and I would like to ask for some people to step forward to
>>> take
>>> on semi-formal roles as meeting/talk organisers, list admin/moderators,
>>> publicity/event organisers etc. Also the IRC channel has been dead
>>> for a
>>> while - anyone want to take on the job of drumming up interest and
>>> keeping
>>> that going?
>>
> So I am proposing to step down from the list moderator role (spam filter
>
>> Hmmm. Am I right in thinking you are still waiting for the volunteers?
>

> Yes, apart from Paul and yourself. Nothing received off-list. (Please
> do keep replies on list so we can all see.)
>
> My feelings at the moment are that, as we are all busy people, folks
> are worried about stepping up to organise things because they worry
> that it will be a big time-sink and a burden. Alternatively, nobody
> really thinks there is much value in the LUG organising events (the UK
> LUG tour thread notwithstanding) to complement the mailing list and
> help to promote Linux in the county.
>
> Assuming the latter to be false (it may well be true though!), all I
> would say to busy people is that it shouldn't be a time-consuming job
> if  enough (4-6?) people offer to take on roles and you work in a
> co-ordinated way to share work and motivate each other. At the moment,
> since there is almost nothing happening, it wouldn't take much to
> raise the level of activity by organising /something/, which would be
> a small improvement. Sustainability is another issue, of course.
>
> I think it depends on how many members want the LUG to function as an
> event or club rather than just a "help" mailing list. I always assumed
> it /should/ be the former...? Please step forward soon if you want
> this to happen. I'm not going to keep pushing it, I shall just fade
> away and cease to worry about what happens, because there's no point
> if there's no demand.
>
> Thanks for your emails Glyn.
> I'll try to sort out the website with details of the UK LUG event soon.
>
> Francis.

Francis,

I've no desire whatsoever to see the GlosLUG fade away from lack of
trying. I think Paul volunteered to moderated the mailing list and I'm
willing to update the website until I can find and coerce a more capable
candidate. As far as organising LUG meetings is concerned I'm happy to
keep chipping away at the regular attendees and elsewhere when advised
to try and maintain regular meetings.

If you'd like me to take on the website, then let me know.

P.S. I've started plugging the meeting on Friday at work.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies