[Gloucs] Repairs

John Kilgour wj.kilgour at btopenworld.com
Thu Dec 7 10:09:58 GMT 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 09:37, Sean Keeney wrote:
> What spec is the PC?
>
> How random are the crashes? Really random or after it's warmed up/when
> certain software is run/ etc? And what happens when it crashes - does it
> immediately reboot?
>
> If you give me a few answers it'd help. I've got loads of parts hanging
> round too if you need them, but it's usually a reinstall issue.
>
> On 07/12/06, David and Sharon <david.sharon-copsegreenfarm at farming.co.uk>
>
> wrote:
> > I hate to admit not being able to handle it myself, but does anyone know
> > a good/cheap repair person for a sickly pc.
> >
> > I am getting to the stage where having to boot from corrupted drives
> > (due to freeze ups/reboots) is getting annoying and I don't have the
> > parts etc to chop and change components to find out which one is duff.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > David
Have you got a live CD of something like Knoppix. I have found this to be
useful to see whether any problem is hardware or software. I am perfectly
capable of wrecking a Linux or W*****s installation, but a live CD can help
sort things out. Remember to back up your /home directory while you still
can. (Memo to self - "Must do this again"!)
Good luck.