[Gloucs] Repairs

David and Sharon david.sharon-copsegreenfarm at farming.co.uk
Thu Dec 7 13:41:45 GMT 2006

John Kilgour wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 09:37, Sean Keeney wrote:
>
>> What spec is the PC?

It's an AMD 3500 am2 on k9n board (nvidia chipset),1gb corsair ram, 80Gb
SATA2, 120Gb IDE. I had wondered about the IDE drive conflicting with
the SATA, but they ought to be on separate channels?
>> How random are the crashes? Really random or after it's warmed up/when
>> certain software is run/ etc? And what happens when it crashes - does it
>> immediately reboot?

Crashes seem to happen using live disc too and only when cold, hence it
must be a hardware thing. Usually when it's warm it's ok., and will buzz
along all day no probs.

On 07/12/06, David and Sharon <david.sharon-copsegreenfarm at farming.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I hate to admit not being able to handle it myself, but does anyone know
>>> a good/cheap repair person for a sickly pc.
>>>
>>> I am getting to the stage where having to boot from corrupted drives
>>> (due to freeze ups/reboots) is getting annoying and I don't have the
>>> parts etc to chop and change components to find out which one is duff.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> David
>>>
> Have you got a live CD of something like Knoppix. I have found this to be
> useful to see whether any problem is hardware or software. I am perfectly
> capable of wrecking a Linux or W*****s installation, but a live CD can help
> sort things out. Remember to back up your /home directory while you still
> can. (Memo to self - "Must do this again"!)
> Good luck.

Having written this and removed harddrive/ put it back in again, I've
had no probs except for the fact that  said harddrive appears to be
reading /writing  slowly?!

David