[Gloucs] Repairs

Graham Nye glug at thenyes.org.uk
Sun Dec 17 13:39:10 GMT 2006

David and Sharon wrote:

> Having written this and removed harddrive/ put it back in again, I've
> had no probs except for the fact that said harddrive appears to be
> reading /writing  slowly?!

I had this recently and it turned out to be because the disk
was starting to fail. I suggest you run a disk sector test [1]
and ensure your backups are up to date.

Hitachi make a disk test, which also works with other
brands of disk:
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

I also suggest looking in your system logs for error messages.
Once I discovered my disk problem I found that Windows had
been quietly recording disk problems in the system error log
for several months without bothering to tip me off. D'oh.

[1]chkdsk/scandisk in Windows, select the surface scan; I haven't
    tried this in Linux so perhaps other readers could suggest
    suitable tools. (Does fsck check the disk surface or just the file
    structure?)

--
Graham Nye
glug at thenyes.org.uk