[Gloucs] Fun with debian keys

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 17:20:51 GMT 2006

Hi folks,

Anyone else recently had problems with key errors while doing apt-get update and apt-get install on Debian testing?  I somehow managed to not notice apt being updated to a new version that defaults to authenticating the Debian packages.  I was getting various errors like:

$ apt-get update
W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY F1D53D8C4F368D5D
W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org testing Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY F1D53D8C4F368D5D NO_PUBKEY 010908312D230C5F

I googled for a couple of days finding and trying various so called solutions but could not fix the warnings.  I felt rather nervous as I had not at first, heard about the change. <URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/11/msg00064.html>

Eventually, using trial and error, I stumbled on the very simple solution.  It may not be the official solution but its simple and works.

# download key files from the debian website
wget http://ftp-master.debian.org/ziyi_key_2005.asc
wget http://ftp-master.debian.org/ziyi_key_2006.asc

# apt-key showed I had none installed
apt-key list

# install the keys
apt-key add ziyi_key_2005.asc
apt-key add ziyi_key_2006.asc

# update now works without warnings

So Debian gurus, is this the proper way to fix this problem?

Regards,
Paul