[Gloucs] [Fwd: PRESS RELEASE on China: Internet companies assist censorship]

Steve Greig steve at stevespages.org.uk
Fri Jan 27 00:33:44 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 23:37 +0000, Steve Greig wrote:
> I would be very interested in your views about this press release from
> Amnesty International.
>
> The main reason I stopped using Microsoft and took up Linux were ethical
> considerations. If I was to, likewise, stop using google as a search
> engine is there a more ethical possibly open source search engine around
> which can do a good job?
>
> I would like to go to one of your meetings at some point especially if
> it is not to highly technical so I hope you have another one before too
> long.
>
> Best wishes from Steve

I just got the email I sent to the group but without the Amnesty
International Press Release attachment. So here it is in the body of the
email:

              China: Internet companies assist censorship

(London/ Davos): Google's launch of a self-censoring Chinese search
engine is the latest in a string of examples of global Internet
companies caving in to pressure from the Chinese government. The service
curtails the rights of Chinese Internet users to the freedom of
expression and freedom of information enjoyed in other countries.

Speaking from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Amnesty International's
Secretary General Irene Khan said:
"While acknowledging that Google has taken a number of steps to ensure
access of Chinese users to the Internet, Amnesty International is
nonetheless dismayed at the growing global trend in the IT industry.”

"Whether succumbing to demands from Chinese officials or anticipating
government concerns, companies that impose restrictions that infringe on
human rights are being extremely short-sighted. The agreements the
industry enters into with the Chinese government, whether tacit or
written, go against the IT industry’s claim that it promotes the right
to freedom of information of all people, at all times, everywhere.”

Last year, Microsoft launched a portal in China that blocks use of words
such as 'freedom' in blog text. The company recently closed down the
blog of Zhao Jing, who used the blog name Michael An Ti, after he
supported a strike against the politically-motivated sacking of an
editor at the Beijing News.

Yahoo has admitted revealing email account details of the journalist Shi
Tao to the Chinese authorities, who was peacefully exercising his right
to impart information, a move that contributed to his prosecution and
sentencing to 10 years in prison.

"Agreements between global corporations and the Chinese authorities has
entrenched Internet censorship as the norm in China," said Irene Khan.
"Internet companies justify their actions on the basis of Chinese
regulations. In fact, such agreements and the resulting self-censorship,
violate both international standards and China's own constitution, which
protects freedom of expression."

International law guarantees the right to freedom of information and the
free flow of ideas across borders. While some restrictions on these have
been developed over the years, the manner in which IT companies are
freely submitting to opaque Chinese policies, is unacceptable.

"The Internet heralded unfettered access to information in a borderless
world. Instead, companies are helping governments build borders to
prevent their citizens from accessing information," said Irene Khan.