[Gloucs] [OT] Windows XP "learners" books for long term penguinista

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Wed Mar 8 18:08:11 GMT 2006

Sorry to mention this but need some advice ... I've not had windows
installed here for something like 3-4 years, and basically missed XP
(last using NT4 and Win98 SE for kids games, and not had win98 working
for the last couple of years since a pooter disk died - just never got
around to reinstalling it).

I've been offered a bit of jobbing windows support work for
individuals/small business after not having worked at anything for some
years (dodgy health and being housedad to preschoolers) but will need to
get up to speed somewhat on XP and its foibles.

I installed XP a couple of weeks back on my spare pooter - that was an
interesting experience hunting out drivers and all sorts - as I have 3
licences which I got but never used at the time.

And, ye gads, I'd forgotten how bare a windows installation was - sod
all that one can actually USE in the way of applications! Suse since 6.2
has certainly spoiled me in that regard!

Anyone any recommendations of any books that are worth having that will
enable me to work through XP so I can set up people - sort of cable
modem connections, sort out firewalling and such like.

And that might be good for flagging up "gotchas" under XP?

I used to be very comfortable with networked NT4 (small networks) and
Winx's, but I suspect my status as a Novell engineer is a bit obsolete
nowadays >;)

But it has been some years since windows... and a couple of versions.

Also, I suppose, any on line tutorials that I could work through (low
cost or free, eh).

Help gratefully received.