[Gloucs] hello

Maximillian Murphy m at de-minimis.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 02:15:36 BST 2006

Dear Christian,

Regarding the Gloucestershire Linux demo day:

-- I live in Cheltenham, have car and would be happy to help if I'm
not away at the time.

-- The "demonstrating to Windows users that Linux has it all" facet:
We could get hold of an intel Core Duo machine and load it with
Parallels and demonstrate running two operating systems
simultaneously at full speed, thanks to the hardware virtualisation.
That should be a big help when persuading people to try out Linux.
They don't need to mess with dual boot or anything of that kind.
Parallels costs 49.99 USD (Parallels support for AMD hardware
virtualisation is coming up).

We could even run all three operating systems on an apple machine,
just to drive the point home:  The choice of OS is there, easy and
non-exclusive.  Anyone have an intel apple?

-- Another fun and impressive thing we could do is to invite a
LinuxBios chap to come and display a three second powerswitch to
loginscreen boot.  Even a six second boot would be superb.  I grant
that this is blue sky technology as far as ordinary linux users is
concerned.  However it would make the point that linux is more than
capable and has a high performance userland future ahead of it.

Maybe I'll get a first sighting of you all there!

Best Wishes, Max