[Gloucs] hello

Simon Lewis simonlewis at bluebottle.com
Thu Sep 28 23:18:12 BST 2006

Im siting here on a Mac Book, the reason I'm running OSX rather that
Ubuntu is due to the following 2 reasons:
- General support in linux for laptops 'extra' buttons is poor - I
didn't fancy spending 2 weeks working out how to get button X working
correctly
- The integration of the desktop is not great - don't you wish that
all your contact information was available in all programs and that
all applications looked the same....

I would very much like to help on an install day but I think its
important to think about users.  The technically competent user will
find Linux on there own, they will happy spend weeks in their spare
time learning about the shell and the file system and generally love it.

Then you have Joe pubic, they have a £500 laptop from PC world and
they have XP on it, they are fed up with reinstalling their PC every
4 weeks after some 'creative' surfing leaves there PC in what can
only be described as a 'state'... These are the ideal people to sell
Linux to but as soon as they want to install/do anything they will be
changing back to XP as fast as they can.  Unfortunately Linux
requires a high amount on knowledge to get going,... you need to know
about kernels, packages, root privileges, how to edit config files...
the average person simply wont bother spending that sort of time to
get things going.  This is where I feel that install days will only
go so far, you can take a horse to water but you cannot make it
drink.  Although Ubuntu is a relative doddle to install the average
person would be more comfortable on a mac.... everything does indeed
just work..... installing applications is as easy as a drag and drop
for most things... this type of simplicity of operation and
configuration is what is needed on the Linux desktop.... Untill then,
anyone who installs linux for a friend is agreeing to be a sys admin
for that person for the foreseeable future, something that has
recently made me do the unthinkable and recommend someone to use
Windows (a heavily bolted down version) and recommend all 'creative'
surfing is done using a web appliance (thankyou VMWare).  Good
technology and free software can only go so far.... sometimes it is
easier to shoot the horse than make it drink...

Anyway, something to think about..

Simon