[Gloucs] hello

info at hbas.fsnet.co.uk info at hbas.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 09:52:52 BST 2006

Hi Simon,

Your comments are so true.

When I started this group a few years back, it was from the point of
realisation of most of what you have outlined.

We are now at the point that there are now a number of distributions
such as Fedora Core 5 and Ubuntu, that give a basic out of the box,
install and it works, feel to Linux.

Which is fine for a basic user who just wants to do a bit of word
processor work, connect to the Internet, send and receive emails and
browse the net, but the user who wants to say build a decent website, or
has an interest in DVD's and wants to do something in relation to his /
her specific interest runs into a brick wall.

As soon as he /she starts to search the Internet for information and
programmes to augment the base distribution,  the user finds that he /
she is in "techie" land.

The sad fact of life is that those who understand how to tweak linux and
add other programmes to the base system, when helping others, have
difficulty in providing the precise step by step instructions to take
the potential convert through the maze of terminology that is required
to be proficient.

The user at that point gets very frustrated and generally runs for cover
back to Mr Gates products.

We have a computer business, we build, repair and sort out all types of
problems for our customers.

The bottom line with many of the problems we are asked to sort out, stem
from an inability to understand, that windows, does need certain
maintenance to be carried out every few days, it also needs good anti
virus and spyware protection and regular usage and updating.

Get them on to Linux and they do not stand a chance unless, as you
rightly state, you are prepared to offer a full support service to the
user - for life!

If someone can point our potential prospects to easy to understand,
simply explained instructions to go forward, great, make this
information easy to find for the user to do it themselves and you have a
winner to go forward with.

Over the years, I have watched people join this group, make a comment
and never post again, where are they now???

I guess most have gone back to stuffing more $Dollars into Uncle Bill's
bank account!

Best wishes to one and all - please keep Linux moving forward - but lets
keep the help simple to understand and use so all may benefit.

Barrie Haycock
Founder of this Linux User Group