[Gloucs] hello

Maximillian Murphy m at de-minimis.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 22:17:35 BST 2006

Am 28.09.2006 um 23:13 schrieb Simon Lewis:

> Im siting here on a Mac Book, the reason I'm running OSX rather
> that Ubuntu is due to the following 2 reasons:

<hijack> Because I'm a capitalist, which means that I support things
I like with everything I've got, money included when necessary.  OS-X
is a userland unix.  As such I want it to thrive, so I bought a
copy.  Long live individual decision making, vim and compassion.
</hijack, exit beardie.>

> - The integration of the desktop is not great - don't you wish that
> all your contact information was available in all programs and that
> all applications looked the same....

Hmm.  My shared hosting provider recently made it nigh on impossible
for me to carry on using pine, a primitive command line mailtool.
Never mind, I'll find a way around it.

> I would very much like to help on an install day but I think its
> important to think about users.  The technically competent user
> will find Linux on there own, they will happy spend weeks in their
> spare time learning about the shell and the file system and
> generally love it.

Agreed.

> Then you have Joe pubic, they have a £500 laptop from PC world
>  Although Ubuntu is a relative doddle to install the average person
> would be more comfortable on a mac.... everything does indeed just
> work.....

Great, then let's go and sell £500 laptops pre-loaded with Linux, and
make very sure that the extra buttons do work.

Regards, Max