[Gloucs] Next meet

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Thu Jul 12 11:19:35 BST 2007

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:36:56 +0100, busker at busker.org said:

> Well, there is the option of talking about M$ Compute Cluster
> Services ....  M$ are organising lots of expensive parties to get that
> going

Interesting, presumably they feel some pressure from Linux. I'm surprised
it's taken them so long - Digital had a very good cluster technology
running on Vaxes 25 years ago, and Microsoft poached the key VMS architect
(Dave Cutler) from Digital to run the Windows NT project when it was first
conceived. But then Microsoft were only really an applications company
back then and operating systems came hard for them (the precise opposite
of Digital). Maybe they just didn't understand the potential of clusters.

Keith