[Gloucs] Knackered USB Drive

bjh at hbas.fsnet.co.uk bjh at hbas.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 00:13:14 BST 2007

Hi John,

 From many years experience I doubt freezing the hard Drive will be much
use.

What you can do though is plug the drive into another computer and see
if that computer can read the drive.

This will be able to identify if you just have a problem on your
computer which is throwing up the error and not a drive problem.

If as you say it is only three months old, your best route is inevitably
to take it back to the supplier and see if they can access the drive and
copy the files you need from it.

Your other alternative is to load a Linux live CD like Knoppix and see
if it will pick up the drive and allow you to copy what you need.

Best wishes

Barrie Haycock