[Gloucs] June meeting

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Sun Jun 17 09:23:53 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 19:30 +0100, Simon Lewis wrote:
> If you want we can have a crack at getting it working.  What chipset
> is it?  The problem you will have with doing that is that you will
> have to recompile/install  everytime your kernel is upgraded by the
> package manager, not a big problem but it can get a pain.  My
> housemate was using Ubuntu and the Madwifi package was b0rked, we
> changed it to a Gentoo and Debian dual boot and it works a treat in
> both... no recompiling modules needed.

Dell wrote a utility called DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support). At its
simplest, you give it the source for various drivers and at boot time,
if it hasn't previously compiled for the current environment, it
compiles it then. I compile my wireless driver (ipw3945) and the fuse
driver this way for RHEL 5. I don't know if they've ever packaged it for
Debian, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work the same way.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS
Red Hat, Global Professional Services

M:       +44 (0)7977 267231
GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490