[Gloucs] June meeting

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Sat Jun 16 23:11:15 BST 2007

Simon Lewis wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2007, at 18:59, Glyn Davies wrote:
>

>> It's a choice between having Internet access or not.
>>
>> You are more than welcome to have a go at compiling the kernel module
>> for my wireless card.
>
> But you don't have to compile kernel modules to get the wifi working
> in OS X... ;)
>
> If you want we can have a crack at getting it working.  What chipset
> is it?  The problem you will have with doing that is that you will
> have to recompile/install  everytime your kernel is upgraded by the
> package manager, not a big problem but it can get a pain.  My
> housemate was using Ubuntu and the Madwifi package was b0rked, we
> changed it to a Gentoo and Debian dual boot and it works a treat in
> both... no recompiling modules needed.

It's a Compaq W200 wireless card. Basically, it uses an Orinoco USB driver.

When I bought the laptop, it didn't work

A year or so later I go it working.

A year or so after and a kernel update borked the module compilation.

Been borked ever since and I have better things to do.

Ubuntu, Knoppix et al have all had a go but it still doesn't work.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies