[Gloucs] SAMBA printing funnies (but I'm not laughing)

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Wed Mar 28 22:55:34 BST 2007

Andrew Oakley wrote:
> Glyn Davies wrote:
>
>> truth it appears that maybe 1 in 5 prints make it through or

>> No CUPS involved. As far as I can tell, its SAMBA talking to
>> lpd via /etc/printcap. Sorry to be a bit vague here but the

>> I've found diddly squat in /var/log and /var/log/samba. I

Right. Firstly, my apologies for returning late to this thread.
> Hmm. My first thought is that we need the log of printer messages. Do
> you have a /var/log/lpr.log or similar? Can you find where lpd is
> logging to?

Hmmm. After reading your post I dug around for a few evenings and I
learnt a bit about lpd. It logs to /var/spool/lpd/printername/log.
Generally a load of crud in there. Discovered you can log almost
anything by setting it with lpc but it makes configuring sendmail look
like a walk in the park (IMHO).
> If not, I'd suggest installing cups simply so that you have more control
> over the logging. You can change the loglevel in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> and by default it logs to a number of files under /var/log/cups/ .

Well, that's the way I'm going. Andy C suggested a second server running
a more up to date OS (debian or course), SAMBA and CUPS to act a print
server. I'm partly through building that and will report back.