[Gloucs] SAMBA printing funnies (but I'm not laughing)

Andrew Oakley aoakley at messagelabs.com
Thu Mar 22 09:15:24 GMT 2007

Glyn Davies wrote:
> truth it appears that maybe 1 in 5 prints make it through or
> No CUPS involved. As far as I can tell, its SAMBA talking to
> lpd via /etc/printcap. Sorry to be a bit vague here but the
> I've found diddly squat in /var/log and /var/log/samba. I

Hmm. My first thought is that we need the log of printer messages. Do
you have a /var/log/lpr.log or similar? Can you find where lpd is
logging to?

If not, I'd suggest installing cups simply so that you have more control
over the logging. You can change the loglevel in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
and by default it logs to a number of files under /var/log/cups/ .