[Gloucs] Skype or similar animals.

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Nov 27 22:33:36 GMT 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:48:04PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:
> A quick check on Google reveals that Skype for Debian runs on KDE,  and
> is said to be buggy.

Proprietary software :(

However it seems to work pretty well here.

> Does any of the gang use Skype,  or some other equivalent beast.

I use it when someone else wants to call me over it. I also use other
options like Ekiga, Wengophone and Gizmoproject.

> Would they be inter-operable, or will Skype only talk via Skype ?

All the others are in general because they can mostly use SIP. Skype is not
interoperable with anything though because the protocol is closed and thus
only supported by the Skype client.

Skype works annoyingly well here. The beta version even supports webcams.

Cheers,
Al.