[Gloucs] Skype or similar animals.

Simon Fryer fryers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 10:40:26 GMT 2007

All,

On 27/11/2007, Geoff Bagley <geoff.bagley at btinternet.com> wrote:

[...]

> Today,  having got her broad-band,  she phoned us using Skype.
>
> A quick check on Google reveals that Skype for Debian runs on KDE,  and
> is said to be buggy.
>
> Does any of the gang use Skype,  or some other equivalent beast.

I use it regularly as a lot of my family live in .au. It just works on
my GFs laptop that runs Vista. I have it installed and the executable
runs under debian but I have been unable to actually log in
successfully.

My setup is unusual - duel P3 box running debian (I am not near the
box so cann't confirm which release). I run the X server on my OpenBSD
box, fvwm window manager, X forwarded over ssh. I started to debug the
problem it but never got very far. :( Only confirmed that both the
dynamically and statically released packages had exactly the same
problem. So it looks like a setup / network problem at my end.

> Would they be inter-operable, or will Skype only talk via Skype ?

Skype and it's protocol is unfortunatly closed source and only
supported by Skype. I would love an OpenSkype that I could compile and
debug from source - because Skype its self seems to work well.

[...]

Simon