[Gloucs] Skype or similar animals.

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Thu Nov 29 23:52:10 GMT 2007

Geoff wrote:
> You mentioned the Linksys phones,  to I went to the Linksys web-site,
> and they listed PC-world as
> suppliers.  So off I went to the local PC-world and bought a Linksys
> Model CIT200  "cordless internet telephony kit".
>
> Luckily, it was not too expensive,  so I write it off to experimentatation !
>
> They included a Microsoft set-up disc !   (which I can use as a beer-mat).
>
> My next task is to study how I can get it to use VoIP  (either Skype or
> any other LINUX-more-friendly  versions
> on my Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 "Etch" system.

A friendly search engine turned up this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283340&page=3

> I will have a look at sipgate.

Maybe you were looking for a SIP phone from Siemens, SNOM, Polycom,
Linksys etc. that actually plugs into an ethernet port on your router,
or uses a WiFi router (no need for a PC.)  Easy to find these phones
on the internet but still rare at high street shops.  I think 1 or 2
people in GLUG are signed up as resellers for these kind of phones. (I
think that is what Chris meant by "a real VOIP phone".)

Linux SIP software like Ekiga, gizmoproject and openwengo works with
any headset that you plug into the sound card of your Linux PC (and
with most Linux webcams.)

For cheap experimentation, a lot of people swear by the SIP Analogue
Terminal Adapters (ATA).  Again these plug into an ethernet router,
but you plug an ordinary analogue phone into the other side of these
matchbox-sized devices.  You need a PC to configure it, but after that
you shut the PC down and use your phone, or your DECT base station, as
if it is connected to a plain old phone line.

Maybe if you take the CIT200 back to the shop, for the same money you
can probably find an ATA.  Just a thought.