[Gloucs] Backing up IMAP mailbox from Dovecot?

Richard Dawe rich at phekda.gotadsl.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 22:48:16 BST 2007

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Oakley wrote:
> At home I run the Dovecot IMAP mail server (under Ubuntu 6.06), and keep
> all my mail in my IMAP account. The account has several sub-folders, eg.
> a GlosLUG folder, a LiveJournal folder etc.
 >
> What is the simplest way to back up this one account only (with
> subfolders), such that it can be reliably reloaded on to Dovecot server
> on a freshly reinstalled machine, please? I don't want to backup any
> other accounts.
>
> Ideally I'd be looking for a few files that I can just gzip and scp
> elsewhere on a cron job.

If you're looking to shift your mail from one IMAP server to another,
perhaps you could use OfflineIMAP?

http://software.complete.org/offlineimap/static/doc/manual.html

"With OfflineIMAP 4.0, a powerful new ability has been introduced -- the
program can now synchronize two IMAP servers with each other, with no
need to have a Maildir layer in-between."

Disclaimer: I've never used OfflineIMAP.

Rich