[Gloucs] Tomtom satnav and linux

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Sun Sep 2 20:28:19 BST 2007

Hi folks.

While on holiday I finally succumbed to buying a satnav thing - mainly
to avoid all those heated debates with the wife about who's fault it is
that we've gone the wrong way again (I wonder the likelihood that she
might read this).  Anyway, I settled on a Tomtom and it works as
expected, OK with a few crashes and wrong directions.  It does run
Linux and they have now fulfilled their obligation under the GPL to
release source code etc.  Great.

On return home, I now find that Linux desktop support is non-existent.
I have no version of Windows XP/Vista or MacOS available, and I'm left
with a box that I can't update and I can't make use of any of the
other features.  I've search the net for advice and tried wine but have
come up with nothing.  OK, I should have researched more before buying,
I usually do but I was away from home and it was a bit of a snap
purchase given the prospect of driving around and the above issues....

So, to the point, does anyone here now of any Linux desktop support for
this device? Was there a better make I could have bought that supports
Linux?

Regards,
Paul
P.S. Sorry for the ramble...