[Gloucs] Big brother ... kinda!

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Sun Feb 24 00:07:48 GMT 2008

Andrew Oakley wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 07:50:01AM +0000, Maximillian Murphy wrote:
>>> "seeing each other's screens"
>> TightVNC ??
>
> Seconded - VNC. I use TightVNC too but most VNC versions these days
> support Tight compression.
>
> If the remote end is on a dynamic IP address, look up "listen server"
> in the documentation to see how to overcome this.

Max,

Am I right in thinking that you want to see her screen and she wants to
see yours at the same time? While VNC will allow you to see her screen,
if she viewed yours, she'd see you viewing hers, viewing yours, etc,
etc, hence your infinite loop comment.

I think the suggested avenue of collaborative tools is a good one.

I can think of a very expensive way of doing this. Video Conferencing. A
modern H323 Video endpoint will take a PC video input. It's sent in a
second video channel. The standard for this is H239. A browse through
Sourceforge for H239 may throw up something. I doubt it though. However,
I think you will need at least a second machine as otherwise you are
stuck with the problem of your viewing screen also being a viewed screen.

My final thought. If you have a dual head setup can you tell vnc to send
one head while viewing on the other? If so, I've gone full circle to
think it is easily possible (even if you do need two monitors and a dual
head card at each end).

Actually, my final final thought is that with single screens it is
possible to do this with vnc if you take it in turns being in charge e.g.
You connect to her screen
You minimise the vnc viewer
She connects to your screen
You do your bit on your desktop
You hand over to her
She minimise her vnc viewer
You maximise your vnc viewer.
She does her bit on her desktop

You would need to coordinate this presumably through a skype-type voice
channel.

You are also going to need to open some router ports.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies